I’ve been feeling summery lately, trying to fit in as many barbeques as possible. A nice coleslaw provides a crisp compliment to my grillables. This salad gets the bright pink hue from beets! I should warn you though, that this makes a giant amount of slaw, at least a giant amount for one person. I actually ate it for three meals one day. SAVE ME!
- 1/2 red cabbage, sliced very thinly
- 1/4 c of red onion, sliced very thinly
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 beet, grated
- 1 apple, julienned or grated
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 c of apple cider vinegar
- 1 hot pepper (mine was not very hot, so if yours is, I would start out with a small amount of hot pepper and go up, maybe a quarter of a jalapeno?)
- 1/3 c sunflower seeds
- 2 T agave
- 1 t cumin
- 1/4 c water
- 1/2 salt
- pepper, to taste
Put all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. For the dressing, throw everything into the blender and blend away. My blender is not very good, so there were still bits of sunflower seeds when I was done. I put them into the slaw anyway for a little more texture. Toss the dressing with the slaw and garnish with the sesame seeds.
As this only uses half of a head of cabbage, you get to decide what to do with the other half. I actually ended up making another batch of this when I was done. So, Much. Slaw.